The current Hotel Fauchere building was constructed in 1880 in classic Italianate style. Note that the porch only extended from the front face of the building and the steps ran the entire length of the building.
This is a view looking south toward the hotel. The smaller building in the foreground was Dr. Emerson’s pharmacy. A few years after this picture was taken, Dr. Emerson moved the building across the street and built on the old site a magnificent Queen Anne style residence. Today, the “Emerson House” houses the Patisserie Fauchere on the first… Read More
The Hotel Fauchere has been a destination for family gatherings since 1852. This well-dressed group looks like they are serious about their family photograph. Note the door immediately to the left of the hotel’s front door; today that is a window. The big piece of bluestone sidewalk is still in place.
This is a great picture of a winter snowstorm in Milford with a horse-pulled sled passing the front of the hotel. Note the building to the left of the hotel; that was subsequently moved across Broad Street into the next block and now houses Naked Bagel.
After Dr. Emerson moved his pharmacy and built his new house a little further from the hotel, the hotel expanded with this porch wrapping around the side. It also created a lovely side yard; that’s Warren Fauchere Chol, Louis Fauchere’s grandson, in the near foreground on the right.
Note the fire escape that was added to the front of the hotel. The HOTEL FAUCHERE sign, that previously was on the front face of the building, is now on the front of the fire escape. Horse and carriage waiting out front while a few guests are enjoying the porch.
Now the sign is moved down to the top of the front porch. Note the round globed Victorian-style pedestrian light; in other vintage pictures, there are Colonial-style street lights that are more angular. In 1999, as part of a streetscape enhancement project, Milford was installing pedestrian lights but there was a debate: would they be… Read More